Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Bird Pattern from over 25 years ago.

I paid 75.00 for the blocks and made a quilt out of them I traced the pattern off and then appliqués these blocks. I got the pattern for these blocks from quilt blocks that we had bought in Allentown Penn about 25 years ago.

It is felt appliqués on wool. 

A different technique and they were fun to make.

A little history about these projects:

I bought the blocks for the quilt in Allentown Penn about 1994 and there were seven blocks. All the bird blocks and then the two other blocks. 

I looked at them and didn't know what to do with them. 

In 2003 the Quilters Newsletter magazine had a picture of the quilt that a woman had made. So now I knew what had to be done. 

I copied off the pattern of the two blocks and put it on graph paper so that it was accurate. Now I had to find muslin that matched the muslin in the old blocks. 

Then I found some green that matched. I went into my stash of depression-era material and found some that almost matched. I cut out my appliqued pieces and started work on the blocks. 

I did primitive appliqué which in no turned under edges and a tight buttonhole stitch around each piece. For the vines, I used three rows of chain stitches. 

It took me forty hours for each block. 

I had it machine quilted and it sat for about ten years.

I finally got it out and did the binding. I just brought the back lining over and finished it.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment