Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Dresden Plate Quilt

 The Dresden Plate Quilt

    About a month and half ago I started looking through some of my old boxes that were filled with old quilt blocks.  I came upon two sets of blocks that were made in the 1940’s and I had 13 blocks of one kind.

    I decided to make a quilt out of these blocks as they were huge and I used an 18 inch piece of material for the blocks.  I could not figure out why they had not been made into a quilt until I started checking closer.

    Well the blocks would not lay flat and the seam allowances in the blocks were several different sizes.  So here I go.  I corrected the seam allowances and they I had to applique the blocks to the back ground.  I decided to use a  blue color for the center and that worked out fine.

    I then tried several different machine stitches for the applique, so all the blocks are not appliqued with the same stitch.  I went back to my old reliable blanket stitch and  that turned out fine.  My friend Jack had given me some blue print material and I used that along with a bright yellow to do the sashing.  I had the 9 patch between the sashing pieces and that turned out all right.

    I found when putting the sashing together that it is better to  tie baste the joins and then they do not slip on you.  I used the same process when putting the long pieces of sashing together along with pinning ever couple of inches.  I had to do a little easing in a couple of places but that is better than not having things match.  It took me the better part of a month to finish it and it is now at the quilt shop being machine quilted.  Was fun to do and it is a bright and happy quilt and so glad to get to use the material from the depression era.

No comments:

Post a Comment