The Dresden Plate Quilt
About a month and half ago I started looking through some of my old boxes that were filled with old quilt blocks. I came upon two sets of blocks that were made in the 1940’s and I had 13 blocks of one kind.
I decided to make a quilt out of these blocks as they were huge and I used an 18 inch piece of material for the blocks. I could not figure out why they had not been made into a quilt until I started checking closer.
Well the blocks would not lay flat and the seam allowances in the blocks were several different sizes. So here I go. I corrected the seam allowances and they I had to applique the blocks to the back ground. I decided to use a blue color for the center and that worked out fine.
I then tried several different machine stitches for the applique, so all the blocks are not appliqued with the same stitch. I went back to my old reliable blanket stitch and that turned out fine. My friend Jack had given me some blue print material and I used that along with a bright yellow to do the sashing. I had the 9 patch between the sashing pieces and that turned out all right.
I found when putting the sashing together that it is better to tie baste the joins and then they do not slip on you. I used the same process when putting the long pieces of sashing together along with pinning ever couple of inches. I had to do a little easing in a couple of places but that is better than not having things match. It took me the better part of a month to finish it and it is now at the quilt shop being machine quilted. Was fun to do and it is a bright and happy quilt and so glad to get to use the material from the depression era.